Redplum

Homemade Frugal Fail - No Cheese Crackers For Us

>> Tuesday, March 9, 2010

If you're a regular reader then you know I'm making an attempt to cook from scratch more often these days. This commitment includes our snack foods as well. We all love cheese crackers here but I hate all the unpronounceable ingredients in many of the well known brands. We love Annie's Cheddar Bunnies as an alternative but they can be pricey. So last week I attempted to make some cheese crackers from scratch. I found a recipe to try online. They looked so pretty. I gathered the ingredients together-so excited to be making something that would be a treat for the kids. But even though I followed the directions to a T, we never got to enjoy any crackers. In fact, they never even made it into the oven. The dough was just too crumbly to work with. I added more melted butter than recommended when I realized I was still dealing with crumbs and not dough but that didn't help. It finally came together as dough but crumbled every time I tried to work with it. I chilled as directed and then chilled it some more. Still nothing but crumbs. So finally I gave up and just tossed it. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong but I just couldn't get the recipe to work.

Thankfully, Annie's Cheddar Bunnies are on sale for $2 a box at Target right now. We have some cheese crackers to tide us over until I can find another recipe. If any of you have a great cheese cracker recipe or any other healthy snack recipe that would be great for school lunches/snacks feel free to share them. I think I'm going to whip up some banana muffins for snacks this afternoon but would love a savory snack to try later this week.

1 comments:

Kirsty March 9, 2010 at 11:32 AM  

Ah yes, it sounds like my gnocci experiment last week ;) I am just done eating some banana muffins (I use Pioneer Woman's banana cake recipe-so good) so we are on a wave-length. Sorry this one did not work out for you-better luck next time.

Post a Comment

Find Me Here


Twitter Moms: The Influential Moms Network Registered Deal Finder
Visit The Product Review Place
Add to Technorati Favorites

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP