Redplum

Declutter Challenge: February Update

>> Wednesday, March 3, 2010


Time to check in and see how things are going with the Declutter Challenge. February was the month I had to admit I am too sentimental which leads to saving too much stuff-specifically cards and things made by my kids. While I have gotten better at letting go of this kind of stuff over the past couple of years, I still have loads of it from past years. I waded through scores of greeting cards as well as papers from my ahem 9-year-olds Pre-K & Kindergarten years and tossed, tossed, tossed. I did not count every single one but I'm sure I came close to my yearly goal if you counted them all individually. I know. It feels good to be getting rid of it.

I also decluttered by doing one of my favorite things, consigning! I love selling the girls gently worn clothing and toys at seasonal consignment sales. You get rid of the stuff and get some extra cash in your pocket. I prefer seasonal consignment sales over regular consigment stores because the turnaround is so quick. You get your money within a week to a week or two with the sales whereas you only get it monthly or quarterly through a store. The exception is consignment stores that pay up front but you usually get less money that way. So I stick with the seasonal sales.

Now for the update. Goal reminder: Declutter 50 items a month for a total of 600 items by the end of the year.

Here's how I did in February.

I tossed/recycled:
grocery size bag full of cards-at least 50-will count as 1 thing
5 owner's manuals for things we no longer own
8 old, worn towels & pot holders
an old food journal from when I obsessed about such things
bag of school papers-too many to count-will count as 1 thing
old foot stool
bag of 20 small toys

Placed in Yard Sale box:
2 pr. girls tights
5 Christmas themed frames
2 Christmas themed acrylic containers
1 Activity book
2 throw pillows
2 small dolls
Barbie Tea Set

Sold at Consignment Sale:
3 Wii Games
3 dolls
22 clothing items

My Monthly Total: 95
My Yearly Total: 164

4 comments:

Rachel March 3, 2010 at 2:06 PM  

Wow...you got rid of a lot in February!! When we move I always end doing a ton of decluttering...it's sickening to see how much stuff you own in the back of a moving truck (and then deal with the boxes for days or even weeks after!!)

And yes, making money for your unwanted stuff is wonderful!! I'll have to look into consigning baby clothes as my son outgrows them!!

Young Wife March 3, 2010 at 7:25 PM  

Way to go! An old food journal...that's great!

Amy @ Finer Things March 4, 2010 at 8:26 AM  

Excellent job! We don't have seasonal consignment sales here, so I'm shootin' for the consignment store, garage sales, and GoodWill.

Nony the Slob March 6, 2010 at 10:54 AM  

Thanks for explaining the difference between the seasonal sales and the shops. I like the idea of things being done and over with with the seasonal sale.

Post a Comment

Find Me Here


Twitter Moms: The Influential Moms Network Registered Deal Finder
Visit The Product Review Place
Add to Technorati Favorites

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP