Redplum

Weekly Deals-My First Trip To Publix

>> Thursday, December 31, 2009

Moving from Kentucky to Florida has meant leaving my beloved Kroger behind. I do have a plenty of stores to choose from here including a Publix. I've heard great things about Publix so I figured I needed to check it out. Moving also means we have to restock our pantry and freezer. For Christmas, I received gift cards to Target, WalMart & Publix which will make restocking easier on us given our current budget. I plan to stretch those cards as far as I can. This week I decided to give Publix a try and was pleasantly surprised for the most part. I'm finding bread, milk and meat to be quite expensive here so I'm going to have to figure out where to get the best deals on those. So far I've not found any of the awesome Manager's Specials on bread like I was used to in Kentucky.




So here's how I did at Publix. Keep in mind we had nothing in the freezer and not much in the pantry so not everything purchased was a rock bottom deal.

I spent: $39.57 (on gift card so ZERO out of pocket)
I saved: $33.64

Deals:
2 pkgs. Wonka Gummies $2 minus (2) $1/1 Qs =Free
Boston Butt Roast $4.14
Nesquick Strawberry Milk $1 minus .50/1 Q = .50 cents
Kraft Singles $2 minus .50/1 Q = $1.50
Dannon Activia Yogurt $2 minus $1/1 Q = $1
Dannon Danimals $2 minus $1/1 Q = $1
Arnold Wheat bread $1.89 minus .55/1 Q = $1.34
Emerald Peanuts B1G1 $3.29 minus $1.50/2 Q = .89 cents each
3 lbs. apples $1.99
2 8 ct. pkgs. Juicy Juice B1G1 $2.99 minus $1/2 MFQ and $1/2 Target Q = .50 cents each
Cheez Its B1G1 $4.09 minus $1/2 Q= $1.54 each


I also stopped by Target to check out their after Christmas clearance.

I spent $4.15(on gift card, ZERO out of pocket)
I saved $8

Deals:
2 bags M&Ms $2.98(reg. $5.98) minus $1/2 Q = .99 cents each
2 pkgs. Ritz crackers $2.98 (reg. $5.98) minus $1/2 Q = .99 cents each

For more shopping inspiration stop by Southern Savers, Cha-Ching On A Shoestring and I Heart Publix.


10 comments:

Anonymous,  January 2, 2010 at 5:27 AM  

Happy New Year! Where in FL did you move?

Stacy

Amy January 2, 2010 at 9:02 AM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Peace, Love & Stitches January 2, 2010 at 1:17 PM  

I live in FL, too. we live in central florida, east of Orlando. Publix is soooo expensive, but you can't do the whole "spend $10 get $1000000 worth of groceries" at Walmart... :(

ck out the bakery thrift stores (like Entenmann's) for bread. well, not that you can get bread there... lol it was just an example...

Diane

Janet January 2, 2010 at 2:01 PM  

stacylynn & peace-Thanks for the bakery thrift store suggestion. I spotted one not far from here and will probably check it out this week. We're along the panhandle and while there are plenty of stores to choose from, right now it's all about learning where to find the good deals.

Anonymous,  January 2, 2010 at 6:26 PM  

See if you can find an Arnold bread store, then ask if they sell "Day old bread". I get an entire flat of bread and snacks for about $2. Problem is I live in Alabama.

Janet January 2, 2010 at 7:38 PM  

Thanks for the tip about the Arnolds bread store. I'll look into it.

Anonymous,  January 3, 2010 at 6:17 AM  

Congratulations on your move to Florida --- I am jealous -- Florida is my dream place to live. Give Publix a chance and they can become as beloved as Kroger. The customer service is unmatched, the stores are always clean and the sales are awesome. Good Luck!

Stephanie,  January 3, 2010 at 7:43 AM  

Target and Walmart prices may look better at first, but you can't match up sales to coupons with anywhere near the same end result as you would at Publix. It's the only store that works for someone who stockpiles their pantry and freezer. You just have to follow the sales/BOGOs with the coupon matches and you'll be completely stocked up in a few months. I occasionally get a few odds and ends at Target and I try my best to avoid Walmart down here. I go to the Dollar Tree for bread that is 1-3 days away from expiring and freeze it. They get good brands, like Nature's Own and Cobblestone Mills. You may try looking for an Albertson's in your area. They're not everywhere in Forida, but if you have one near a Publix they will accept their coupons as competitor coupons. Albertson's do a B1G2 promo on 2 meat items every week, which will save you tons of money. Keep following www.iheartpublix.com and you can't go wrong!

Janet January 3, 2010 at 12:03 PM  

Thanks for all the tips and ideas. I will definitely be giving Publix a chance. My sister is a coupon shopper and absolutely loves Publix. Since I have the Target and Walmart gift cards I will be shipping there some for the things we need but also plan to take advantage of the sales at Publix for things to stockpile in the meantime. I never thought about The Dollar Tree for bread. I'll look there too.

selenasays January 6, 2010 at 7:20 AM  

Hey Janet,
I recently made a cross-country move - Phoenix,AZ to Charleston,SC and it took a little while to get the hang of the new store selection. But Publix is my FAVORITE grocery store now! They seemed so expensive in the beginning...but once I began following the sales and Q matches I discovered just how much I could save. I suspect you will find a groove and love it as much as Kroger. Best wishes on getting all set up in your new home.
Blessings,
Selena
http://selenasaves.wordpress.com
http//selenasays.wordpress.com

Post a Comment

Find Me Here


Twitter Moms: The Influential Moms Network Registered Deal Finder
Visit The Product Review Place
Add to Technorati Favorites

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP