Redplum

Menu Plan Monday 1/25/10

>> Sunday, January 24, 2010

If you saw last week's menu plan you know I was going to try out a Spicy Black Eyed Pea soup. I saw several recipes for black eyed pea soups around the New Year but none of them sounded quite spicy enough for my tastes so I decided to experiment on a recipe of my own. It actually turned out to be exactly what I was hoping it would be. My ultra picky 6 year old even ate it.


Here's the recipe:
1 cup dried black eyed peas(soak overnight)
1/2 yellow onion-diced
1/2 cup brown rice
1 can diced tomatoes with jalapenos
1 cup water
24 oz. chicken broth
1 T. canola oil
Add spices to taste-I added black pepper and red pepper flakes

Saute onion in canola oil until tender and translusent, transfer to medium to large pot.(I used a 3 quart pot.) Add black eyed peas, tomatoes, rice, water and broth. Bring to a boil and reduce to medium/medium-low heat and cook for approximately 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes or until peas and rice are as desired. Enjoy!

This is what we'll be eating this week:
Tacos
Pork chops, potatoes, salad
Chicken pot pie
Stuffed baked potatoes
Breakfast for dinner

Stop by I'm An Organizing Junkie for more menu planning inspiration.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Find Me Here


Twitter Moms: The Influential Moms Network Registered Deal Finder
Visit The Product Review Place
Add to Technorati Favorites

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP